Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Right Where it Hurts

Soccer is a wonderful sport to photograph because it is played outside in the bright sunlight, and you can clearly capture players’ intense facial expressions as they kick, head the ball, or collide.

Lawrence soccer player grimaces in mid-air as he is hit by a kick from a Billerica opponent (© Michael Maher, The Lowell (Ma.) Sun).



The photo:
This was a mid-season high school boys’ soccer game, and I already had several good action shots, but was hoping for something outstanding. Standing near midfield, I started looking for tight, close-up shots with intense facial expressions. Suddenly, right in front of me someone went high in the air to block an opponent’s kick, and recoiled as the ball hit him. It was so close to me when I fired the camera that I almost couldn’t see the whole image, although I knew I had a good expression. Making the picture even better was that the ball clearly hit him in the crotch, which was what made him grimace so much.

3 Tips:
1) Soccer kicks and collisions are among the best soccer action photos.
2) To get great soccer action, follow the play up and down the sideline.
3) Always strive for intense facial expressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment